Winter Weather

Like a lot of people in the U.S. today, we will be under a winter weather advisory today. Ice up to 1/4″ could form as the temperature drops this afternoon. We’ll be staying put in Hardin County for another day.

rain_12-06

1. Shepherd December 6, 2013 2:31 pm

I was looking forward to snowcam today – and – NO CAM :(

• Heather Ray December 7, 2013 7:05 am

correct. It rained hard until 6pm last night. Rain makes for see-through costumes.

• Patti December 7, 2013 2:04 pm

I hadn’t realized that one!!! can’t have that…. Thanmks for clarifying!

2. Ruth Mitchell December 6, 2013 10:12 am

I am ALMOST back home to Florida so you chicks can go ahead and head south!!! I can’t wait to see you arrive!!!!

3. Peter Rasberry December 6, 2013 8:10 am

I am an Outdoor Educator in southern Ontario. I follow your exploits daily with students, teachers and parents that visit the Blair OEE Centre. I am (almost) as disappointed as you on days that you can’t fly – I am mesmerized from the moment the cameras go on and the chats begin. I check the weather at your stopover locations even before you tweet or blog your intentions!! I admire and applaud the herculean effort each of you make each day to restore this magnificent species to it’s rightful place in the wild. Here’s hoping things clear up and you are underway again soon. Peter

• Heather Ray December 6, 2013 8:30 am

Well hello back home! Thanks so much for sharing our story and for educating folks about our natural world!

• Peter Rasberry December 9, 2013 10:57 am

Hi Heather. I knew there were some Canadians among you – where are you from? We got fresh snow last night, expecting flurries all week. Highs -4C to -8C; lows -8C to -12C
        I’d like to do a write up on OM on our blog – may I use a photo from the website? P.

4. Becky December 6, 2013 7:32 am

How do the cranes handle this cold weather? Do you have to provide any additional shelter for them?

• Heather Ray December 6, 2013 7:44 am

They handle the cold weather just fine, as they would in the wild. No additional shelter provided.