Grounded… For Now

There will be no final flight today. Winds, while out of the north, are blowing at a very healthy 10 mph on the surface. Aloft they are quite strong at 30-35 knots. 

Looking ahead to tomorrow, conditions look very good. At this point we are planning to carry out our final, 28 mile migration leg to the St. Marks refuge beginning shortly after sunrise tomorrow (Saturday).

Everyone is invited to join us to welcome the young cranes as they fly over the San Marcos de Apalache Park in the town of St. Marks on their way to the release enclosure. Google Map. Probable flyover time is 8:15 am but we suggest you plan to arrive by 7:45 am for best parking. (Please note there MAY be a delay if rain develops) The parking area is just west of downtown St. Marks. Don’t forget your camera!

Following the flyover the migration team will assemble at the park to address the crowd and answer any questions you might have so please stick around to welcome them after the 95 day journey it took to bring the cranes to St. Marks.

Share Button


  1. Bikebrains January 3, 2014 10:17 am

    8 AM 1/4/2014 forecast for Saint Marks: Partly Cloudy, Temp 34°, Visibility 10mi (16KM), Wind NE 7mph

    Note: not an aviation forecast.

  2. M L Walsh aka maxgreenwing January 3, 2014 9:56 am

    See you there ! 🙂

  3. Lori opper January 3, 2014 6:15 am

    Thank you for the Speedy Update!! We will be there same Place/Time!! Look Forward to seeing these Awesome Birds!!! Never have before. I have a Photography pg. Alot of my friends have Never seen them either!! I Wish them much Success at st.Marks reproducing and having more to Carry on. God Bless you all for your awesome Dedication to these Endangered Species of birds!!! from,Lori’s Outdoor photography facebook pg We Love St.Marks tomorrow will be our x4th trip in a week..I Hope all is ago No Rain!!!!!