Driving Miss Crazy

As most of you are aware by now, #2-15 was being boxed before the last couple of flights and then joined me in the Jamboree RV for the ride to the next stop. We’ve developed quite a nice friendship riding together and it’s gotten to the point where we can complete each other’s sentences.

The only thing we differ on is the definition of acceptable room temperature. She likes it very cold and I, like some, like it hot. She convinced me that we’d be in Florida soon and I’d have plenty of hot, so for now, it’s only fair to have it cold. So we ride along with the A/C cranked on high and she’s happy as a clam.

#2 and I have had some serious telepathic discussions about the problems she’s had flying with the rest of the cohort and the trike. She (telepathically) explained that they’re just too slow and #1 keeps getting in her way. I (telepathically) tried to point out that migration is a team sport and that there’s no “I” in team but, like most super athletes, she has an ego that won’t quit. I also suggested that she at least pretend to be coach-able. I may have pushed our relationship too far with that comment because she simply harumph’d and didn’t (telepathically) talk to me for the rest of that drive. I was a little miffed at the silent treatment and almost turned the heat on because my feet were freezing!

That’s my fantasy. The real story is that she rides along without a peep (or a gronk). And it’s also true that my feet were freezing.

1. Emilie January 29, 2016 9:33 am

” Driving Miss Crazy ” How perfect ! Your post is up there with Brooke’s and that is saying something. Thanks

2. Catherine Wohlfeil January 28, 2016 10:28 pm

I enjoyed your post about your travel companion #2. She sounds like quite the character. And I also enjoyed tonight’s crane cam telecast of the presentation at the Audubon Society and am extremely happy about the possibility of seeing chicks continue to be nurtured and raised, while being socialized with adult cranes, at White River Marsh. Now if we can only get the ultralight flights to continue, even if used for localized socialization and exercise, or possibly for training in the creation of the ultimate “V”! We’d all support and love to see these graceful giants continue to fly over Wisconsin skies.

3. Jillbru January 28, 2016 5:12 pm

So nice to have a big smile after reading a recent post! Thanks JoAnne – and I will buy an OM book too – don’t forget to put Murray in it, and lots of pictures.

4. Tara Tanaka January 28, 2016 4:27 pm

That was so good I’m at a loss for words!

5. Richard P. Chase January 28, 2016 4:06 pm

I’m proud of you being so-o-o-o-o willing too sacrifice your comfort in the name of Operation Migration “putting the birds first”!

Thank you.

6. Margie Tomlinson January 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Absolutely delightful post, JoAnne! Would love to visit you & the rest of the OM Team at the office in Niagara Falls, NY some time. Thanks for all you have done & continue to do for our Whoopers.

7. CherylGB January 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks for letting us be along for the ride! What a wonderful journey. Love your post. Say hi to #2-15 for me (telepathically of course!)

8. vannie zychowicz January 28, 2016 2:43 pm

I injoy your poto so many memories Joe and the crew should right a book on your jury you know there would be alet of wonderful people would bay it and so would I think it’s going to be hard for her to see you leave her behind and you Joe think you so much every body you will be miss

9. Lu Duncan Frank January 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Wonderful post and like Kat Williams, it would be great to have all this in a book! I would be interested in purchasing it!

Love to you all!

10. D Schwall January 28, 2016 2:33 pm

I agree with Kat. Love these stories.

11. Karen January 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Looks as if you have a BFF, Jo-Anne! I enjoyed this post!

12. Sally Swanson January 28, 2016 12:25 pm

Good idea, Kat about combining the FJ entries! I know I will really, really miss these birds and crew!

13. Shirley Green January 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Loved this Jo.Thank you. Kat’s idea is a great one. Combine the lead pilot entries and the others from OM staff, put in a book form, and offer in the OM shop. Bet you’d sell out! I’d buy one. Even have special autographed editions.

14. Dana January 28, 2016 11:50 am

Agree re book – great for getting out to school kids, I would think – and everyone.

15. Lindi Allen January 28, 2016 11:31 am

Very good post, I enjoy reading all of them.

16. Elsie Sealander January 28, 2016 11:21 am

I’m a newcomer to OM as of TN this year. I have become a real fan and love and admire what you all are doing for the Whooping Cranes.
    But, I really feel bad when 2/15 is being crated again and again. I know she is head strong but she still needs to fly so she gets the trip in her mind. We don’t know what the future will bring to her but she may be the best parent ever and be a survivor.

17. DorothyN January 28, 2016 10:57 am

Another LOL post!! I can really feel for #2-15 now. “Miss crazy” really fits!

I’m reposting David Baker’s post about signing to have the decision reconsidered: SIGN IF YOU HAVEN’T YET DONE SO.
    David Baker January 26, 2016 1:29 pm Reply
    I have started a petition with the Obama Administration to instruct the USFWS to continue ultra light guided migration until an alternative method with a proven higher level of success is developed.

If we can reach 99,000 more signatures by Feb 25th, the administration promises to review the petition and provide a response. Please sign the petition and share either link by social media and email.

18. thunder January 28, 2016 10:52 am

#2-15 is something. Missy know-it-all but I do love her to pieces. So glad you tried to reason with her wracking (both) you brains out! She will be a diplomatic Whooping Crane ambassador. She can do it all. Gronk on.

Thank you for an insite on “Riding in the Jamboree with a Whooping Crane.” A fun post. Enjoyed it so much.

Thank you Jo-Anne for all you have done working with OM. Take care of Murray. He can get a bit jealous so you can read to him “If You Give A Mouse a Cookie.”

19. Carol Giancola January 28, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks for the uplifting post, Jo-Anne. It was very much needed and appreciated!

20. Warrenwesternpa January 28, 2016 10:36 am

Driving Miss Crazy Jo-Anne Bellemer

Very entertaining entry Jo-Belle. You hit on a very thought provoking scenario however. Watching geese and ducks flying formation, I can’t help but think they are somewhat telepathic. I bet your fantasy has some merit! It certainly was a great read! Thank -you!

21. Ruth Mitchell January 28, 2016 10:21 am

I feel your pain Jo…my “Crazy” (aka my husband) that I ride with likes it COLD too….but at least he and I dont have to try to communicate telepathically!!! Try to explain ( Telepathically of course) to #2-15 that part of the qualifications of a good “leader” is to actually get the others to FOLLOW!!!! She needs to work on that part!!!! Team building…team building!!!!

22. Jill Morazzini January 28, 2016 10:03 am

Great post 🙂 Luv to all of OM

23. Kat Williams January 28, 2016 9:49 am

I wish you all would combine all of your comments from the field journal for this (sadly) last migration into a book for all of us to purchase. So many heart felt thoughts and memories that we could keep close at hand. It has been such a blessing meeting all of you and being able to witness so much. God be you all!

24. Mollie Cook January 28, 2016 9:47 am

Cute post Jo-Anne……..thank you for sharing the ride with us. Sure hope tomorrow is a fly day.