No GO…

Unfortunately winds proved to be too strong this morning so we’re down.

With no decent weather in the forseeable future and not wanting to delay the migration any longer, we’re going to crate the young Whooping cranes the remaining distance.

Not ideal but best under the circumstances…

1. Harold February 6, 2016 3:34 pm

They’re not that far away. With their bird senses, which we don’t understand, they’ll still be able to pick up the trail North!! Any news on restoring museum whoopers for genetic diversity? And is it possible that the migrating cranes will meet up with Louisiana Cranes in the future???

2. Marianna Sadowski February 6, 2016 2:24 pm

Ah….what a hard decision that must have been….and so disappointing. I had hoped to see OM “go out” with bands and flags and whistles and lots and lots of OOooo-AAAHhhhs. So grateful for all the wonderful flyovers and beautiful arrivals we HAVE gotten to see over the years. Damn though…..sure gonna miss this. <3

3. Barb February 6, 2016 11:17 am

Hello, I understand the reasoning behind the decision, however, if the Cranes have not seen/flown those last 20 miles, how will they know where to head North when it comes to migrating in the Spring? Thanks for all that ALL of you do for the cranes.

4. Barbara Holmes February 6, 2016 10:48 am

A heartfelt thank you for all you have done with and for the Whooping Cranes. Regrets for this final day.

5. Ann Gillis February 6, 2016 10:04 am

We know you are doing what is best for the birds. Safety for our team and the birds is always more important than anything else. We can’t thank you enough for the moments that took our breath away and friendships we’ve gained by falling in love with whooping cranes. I am a better citizen of this planet now than I was before you got my attention and made me more aware of the need to take care of our planet, especially wetlands and the need to carefully keep everywhere clear of fishing lines and other things that can harm wildlife. I will always be glancing up to see if wings are flying above me. Thanks a million……..

6. Jane and John Seatter February 6, 2016 9:37 am

Thank all of you for your many years of dedicated service. We’ve enjoyed following you from the beginning and will miss you

7. Warrenwesternpa February 6, 2016 9:32 am

No Go, Heather Ray February 6, 2016

Dear OM Crew. That’s probably the best descision. I’m sorry the final flight has to be by crate and air boat. The whoopers will instinctively be preparing for the north bound transition soon. As they have for millions of years they will adapt. I guess we must also!

8. Jerry Woodall February 6, 2016 8:58 am

Thank your team for all the hard work!! Jerry Woodall – St. Marks resident

9. Betsy February 6, 2016 8:46 am

I guess you never do know when will be the last time that you fly with the cranes. Hugs and hand shakes all around for a job well done this season.

10. Leota Hopper February 6, 2016 8:44 am

We are sadden and well as OM, Super Thanks 2 pilots FF Heather Tom OM staff volunteers farmers who let them land/pen & any one I have missed in thank you, ur patience, caring, understanding, time spent away from ur families to C the young whoopers raising from eggs & teaching them how to migrate safely. We will miss the great event. Take care & be Safe

11. ffmn February 6, 2016 8:39 am

But, since only 23 miles, that blank spot in their brains migration probably nott be a concern if they follow those like Peanut and Royal Couple out in that blank spot. They’ve got the rest of it (except maybe that rascal #2. Will be interesting. Will there be tracking back by OM like previous? Thanks for a very unusual year. Have learned sooo much.

12. Judy Lorenz February 6, 2016 8:38 am

I guess this is just a good ending to what has been a fantastic journey. The weather has certainly been unpredictable this year.

13. Anneli February 6, 2016 8:36 am

When are you going to do that

14. Margie Tomlinson February 6, 2016 8:35 am

Excellent decision for the sake of all involved! All best wishes to all!
    Thanks again for a great ride! ((<3))

15. Kay Huey February 6, 2016 8:31 am