Drama, Beauty & Boredom

I just read Heather’s field journal entry and once again am fighting tears. Such highs and lows and such a mix of drama, beauty and boredom.

I am tucked into the edge of a corn field right now, in Adams Co. To my right a harvested sweet corn field stretch’s out about 500 yards. The pen with #’s 29 & 39-16 is about 200 feet in front of me. To my left is a cranberry bog reservoir.

It’s 7:40am and the Sandhills that overnight there are just coming off roost. Hundreds and hundreds of them. The sound is deafening. It’s so beautiful and primal it makes my heart hurt. This little place is a piece of what our world was, what it should be.

As the day goes on, I will be bored if no Whooping cranes show up, I will keep swatting mosquitoes. I will be wet. It’s a rainy day.

And, there is no place on earth I would rather be. I am including a picture taken last Sunday when hunters flushed the Sandhills off roost en mass.

1. Catherine Wohlfeil September 22, 2016 9:02 pm

Thank you for being there for them, and for us. May they enjoy sun filled days and may they bring forth many many generations to come and may they know that you all played a part in making that happen.

2. Mollie Cook September 22, 2016 10:37 am

Beautiful post Colleen & I am shedding tears with you for sweet 32-16. Praying that the outcome for the remaining 8 will be a celebration. Thank you for your love & dedication to the Whoopers!

3. Sally Swanson September 22, 2016 8:56 am

How beautiful, Colleen! And, we are all shedding tears with you!

4. PattiLat September 22, 2016 8:27 am

Thank you Colleen for this discriptive look into the current project. The oldest and the youngest, interesting. The hard work you do is very much appreciated. We share the “highs and lows” with you and can only hope for the best in each situation. Thank you again for this look into beauty.

5. Warrenwesternpa September 22, 2016 8:17 am

Drama, Beauty & Boredom, Colleen Chase

Dear Colleen, Your observations are that of a nearly perfect person. The vision you see and inspire helps us all through these imperfect times. We see our future with different eyes but we listen with tuned hearts. A beautiful picture and Journal entry. Thank-you and Sincerely.

6. Richard P. Chase September 22, 2016 7:56 am

And I am happy that you have the opportunity of possibility to have the chance of seeing a Whooping Crane in the wild. I know how a sighting makes your heart soar to the heavens above. Love you sweetie. 😉