Looking Back

This video clip popped up on my Facebook memories yesterday. We didn’t know it at the time but exactly one year ago yesterday January 30th was our final flight with Whooping cranes.

Thanks to Tara Tanaka for capturing the moment.

2016-01-30 Operation Migration’s final flight (long version) from Tara Tanaka on Vimeo.

1. Jean P. aka CrabtowneMd February 2, 2017 9:02 pm

Gorgeous memories. the video brought tears of joy to my eyes. Hoping for many more whooping crane chicks this coming year. Thank you for sharing this wonderful memory and for all the efforts to help the whoopers establish a viable population.

2. Dorothy N January 31, 2017 10:57 pm

Beautifully done video and an equally beautiful memory. Thank you Tara for the film and to all of the OM staff and volunteers for everything you have done to restore this flock. I hope the work continues, that people become educated about the treasure that this flock is, and that the flock will grow.

3. Catherine Wohlfeil January 31, 2017 8:01 pm

Thank you. It was… and is… beautiful.

4. Susan January 31, 2017 2:36 pm

I went down to St. Marks twice that last time and was so disappointed that I didn’t get to see them come in. I was so looking forward to seeing them one last time. Thank you so much for your video and sharing it with us. So beautiful!! I’ll keep hoping.

5. Riona January 31, 2017 1:09 pm

How will the Cranes know how to migrate now ???

• Heather Ray February 1, 2017 9:12 am

We hope they will follow other cranes

6. Mindy January 31, 2017 12:24 pm

So very bittersweet….especially seeing 1-15, who is now missing from the flock, and knowing we might never see a scene like this again. Tears….So glad Tara took this video….thank you Tara. Thank you Heather for posting it to remind us of how beautiful that day was.

7. E.ANDERSON January 31, 2017 11:54 am

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT -I WAS ALMOST IN TEARS AT THE END. BLESS YOU ALL FOR SO MUCH HARD WORK,COLD NIGHTS AND RAINY DAYS AND MUD AND —-FOR EVERYTHING.SO SAD TO SEE THE FUNDING DISAPPEAR.

• Heather Ray January 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Funding didn’t disappear

8. Bobbie (piscesbobbie) January 31, 2017 11:07 am

Thank you for sharing. Brought tears to my eyes.

9. Mollie Cook January 31, 2017 10:08 am

With teary eyes I say what a wonderful video & a priceless memory. Blessings to all of OM for the work you continue to do for these cranes. I miss the flights so much but looking ahead for a bright future for Whoopers & the OM team.

10. Ruth Kazmer January 31, 2017 9:59 am

Wow, what a beautiful memory. They were such good birds, doing what was asked of them, bringing beauty and nature to us all. Miss seeing “our” birds…..Thank you for reminding us of the way it used to be.

11. janice bittner January 31, 2017 9:58 am

what a thrill. so sorry there ‘just aren’t any more” flights. hope they reproduce and eastern flock prospers.

12. Karen Willes January 31, 2017 8:43 am

Tara’s video is amazing! There were quite a few people there so one can hear them, too, in addition to my camera clicks. For those who view this video, keep in mind that Tara’s video was digiscoped — with a camera attached to her spotting scope in manual focus! Thank you, Tara, for recording this historical flight!

13. Elsie Sealander January 31, 2017 8:04 am

What a beautiful site to see ! Thank you .

14. Katherine Kadolph January 31, 2017 6:49 am

Thank you for the Memories. I’ll never forget these flights. God bless you all that put so much of your time and effort into helping our wonderful Whooping Cranes.