Sandhills on the move!

We received an email from Bill Brooks, FWS’s Jacksonville, Florida office that said “For the past 10 days, the sandhills have been leaving (FL) in masses.”

Yesterday, Craniac Ann Gillis who lives in south Georgia posted the following photo, which confirms this…

Ann said “Wave after wave flew over our house yesterday.”

A SURE sign of spring!

1. Ronald J Paxson February 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Februauy 22,2017 6:00 pm I was outside with my grandsons this afternoon, when 11, what I believe to be Sandhill Cranes flew over twice about an hour apart. They have a very recognizable voice! I was interested to see if any one else had been seeing any when I found this article. I live just north of Pennville, In. in Jay County

2. Pamela Gjertson February 18, 2017 9:30 am

Was surprised to see a sandhill crane near Beloit, Wisconsin a couple days ago (2/15/17). Also saw a small flock of 5 whooping cranes flying NW a short distance from it.

3. Susan O’Connell February 15, 2017 10:56 am

I live in Citrus County Florida (central west FL) where we have an abundance of Sandhill cranes year round. So there are Sandhills that migrate and some that are permanent resident to FL?

• Heather Ray February 15, 2017 11:30 am

The vast majority migrate, yes. From as far north as Russia. There are three small sub-species that live year-round in Mississippi, Florida and Cuba. Check this page to see the range map: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/sandhill_crane/lifehistory

• Susan O’Connell February 16, 2017 12:27 pm

I looked into it and I had no idea that there were subspecies of Sandhill cranes! Our FL sandhill cranes that we see year round are currently listed as threatened due to habitat loss. How fortunate that I live in an area where they can be seen!

4. Jane N February 15, 2017 9:29 am

Yesterday Feb 14, I saw a pair of Sandhill Cranes walking around my neighbor’s yard. I live close to a small, inland lake in the East Lansing area. I’ve never seen them this early, and I’m a little concerned . . .

• Heather Ray February 15, 2017 9:34 am

If there is open water nearby they’ll be just fine.

5. Carla Caudill-Waechter February 15, 2017 8:34 am

In the past week, we have seen (and heard!) several flocks of approx. 30 sandhills each heading north. We live in Delaware County, Indiana.

6. Warrenwesternpa February 15, 2017 8:06 am

Sandhills on the Move. Heather Ray

Last week in Nashville, Tennessee, I was visiting and celebrating Granddaughters birthday. Hoping to catch a glimpse of any migrations, but no luck. I’m glad others were able to see this yearly spectacle of nature. At home we occasionally see and hear Canadian on their flyways. It is always a wonder of our world!

7. Ann Gillis February 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Seeing cranes flying above and hearing their call is a thrill. Happy valentine’s day.

8. Jean P. aka CrabtowneMd February 14, 2017 6:02 pm

🙂 🙂 🙂 (y)

9. aintthatamerica February 14, 2017 2:42 pm

How Do It Know?

10. Don and Jean McAuley February 14, 2017 2:40 pm

For the last week my wife and I as we take our walks through our small addition and surrounding county roads have noticed what we believe are high flying flocks of Sandhill Cranes flying north in their loosely shaped V formations and giving their characteristic calls. We live outside of Greenfield, Indiana.