And They’re OFF!

Colleen messaged me this morning saying today would be THE day the two male Whooping cranes, 5-12 and 4-14 (aka Henry and Peanut) would leave St. Marks NWR to head north.

“Ya, ya,” I said “heard that from Brooke earlier this week.”

Someone needs to remind Brooke that it’s on Fridays that 5-12 prefers to travel… They DID leave today!

Colleen sent along the following timeline via text message earlier today and Brooke concurs they have left – for real:

10:56 flight. Back to pond. 11:39 go over north pond. Go to NW 11:57 faint signal to NW. 12:01 faint faint, fainter… 12:09 I think I’ve lost the signal

And they’re off! Safe travels boys. Peanut – follow Henry to White River Marsh!

1. Gums March 26, 2017 4:18 pm

Salute!

No surprise from this Panhandle bird man.

The front was obvious on the map and we had a good southerly breeze from early Thursday. Further north the wind was even more favorable on Friday.

Dem birds ain’t dumb!

During an October hurricane here I watched a dozen hummers scarfing down jiuce at the feeder. They normally would fight each other to get a sip. But the storm was also on a front and once it passed they had a 100 knot tailwind to reach Cancun!! Was a Cat 3 storm and we only got up to about 125 mph at our place.

I also see the same behaviorat my Colorado cabin in late September. The hummers don’t mind the temperature, but length of day and a cold front with its northerly wind once past seems to be the trigger.

Gums sends…

2. Betsy March 25, 2017 11:20 am

Safe travels to the St. Marks winter visitors!

3. Andrea Johnson March 25, 2017 2:07 am

In 2014 I wrote “I think #4-14 aka Peanut, may surprise us all.” After his antics in 2015-2016, I now find my hand upon my heart, and I catch myself whispering, “surprise us all Peanut.”

• Mollie Cook March 26, 2017 11:08 am

Ditto Andrea! There is so much hope in these Whoopers!

4. Meg March 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Safe travels!!!

5. Carol Giancola March 24, 2017 6:49 pm

“Brothers on the wing” be safe.

6. Agneta Sand March 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Safe travel ! ! !

7. Jean P. aka CrabtowneMd March 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Thank you for the good news! Fly safely Henry and Peanut. We are anxiously awaiting cam time with you and all the other critters at WRM.

8. Jeannie Ulrich (aka jogulrich) March 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Godspeed to you boys. 🙂 Thanks to all of OM for the updates 🙂

9. Mindy March 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Yay! On their way….Yes, I hope they hang together all the way to White River Marsh!

10. Marilyn March 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Yay! God keep them safe. What wonderful adventures lie ahead for those two!