Foraging

A few days ago I found a bush with blue berries on it. I sent a picture to Heather to ID for me before I showed it to the birds. Dogwood berries! It’s good eating and boy it was a hit!

The next day Brooke found the mother load! Lined up along the bank of the pond, in between the two beaches are three or four more!

Those loooong necks make it easy to reach the berries at the top. Photo: Colleen Chase

Sunday they were very clingy. I think Saturday’s costume disappearing act was very fresh in their little brains. Brooke totally snuck away Saturday! All the way into the blind! They searched for him for maybe a half hour, then melted down and flew back to the pen. I walked them back to him, they lasted about another hour and Sandhills calling freaked them again and back they flew. Add to the fact that Sunday was the first day only one costume released them and did flight training.

They were REALLY missing Brooke, you could see the thought bubbles over their heads! “No! Wait! This is NOT how we do it”!

So, since I could not give them alone time, it turned into lesson time. Dogwood berries, lots of foraging in the grass, Dewberries are dwindling but a determined bird can still find them and there were some crickets! We hoped for snakes but none showed up. Then the wind picked up, it energized them and just as I decided it was time to head back they did too! They flew back, wide left over the marsh then swerving to the right to the runway.

Not a bad day at the office.

1. Cheryl N. August 25, 2017 9:42 am

This was such a super video of the birds enjoying the berries, a feast for them and a virtual feast for our eyes just watching the colts. I loved this.

2. Mindy August 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Wonderful Colleen! Thanks so much for sharing the birds eating berries…..happy times!

3. Catherine Wohlfeil August 23, 2017 9:40 pm

I love the video!! Adorable little foragers!

4. Canadianhoot aka Joan Poole August 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Great to see them out and about discovering new food. Thanks for the great video.

5. Richard P. Chase August 23, 2017 11:54 am

Sounds like those young ‘un’s are keeping you busy. Enjoy

6. lilbirdz August 23, 2017 11:46 am

Colleen, thank you so much for this video. It was wonderful to see the colts foraging and feasting in their natural habitat. I hope you were able to keep your feet dry!

7. twgardenia August 23, 2017 11:02 am

Awesome !! πŸ™‚ Thanks !! πŸ™‚

8. Dick Brooks August 23, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks for video of birds at dogwood berries. I apologize for my suggestion that they could be another type of berry. Operation migration know the birds and this site. You are all selflessly working expertly for the restoration of this wonderful species . Thank you for all you do. Again my apologies

9. Maggie August 23, 2017 9:27 am

Must be some tasty berries from the reaction of the cranes. So many new things to learn for all of us.

10. Jean P. aka CrabtowneMd August 23, 2017 8:16 am

Love the video! I was waiting for one to start jumping to get at the berries even higher up in the bush. Guess you may see that next visit.
    Thank you for all you do and also for the great updates.

11. Barb August 23, 2017 8:11 am

The video is just great!!! Thanks for posting it. If I remember correctly, its getting close to the time when they’ll be released on their own. If they were so stressed with only one costumer, a break from the usual pattern, aren’t there worries that when they are on their own, they’ll be worrying too much to look for predators and their own well being? Thanks so much for your hard work.