Wild (Crane) Chicks

Guest Author: Doug Pellerin

It’s been a good season for me as I’ve been able to see a good number of adult whooping cranes. But it was so awesome to have the opportunity to see both wild-hatched chicks with their parents.

The one family I knew where it was. That’s 24-09 and 42-09 and chick. The other family I had no idea where they were until I was driving on Saturday and spotted two adult white birds out in a field. I stopped to get a photo when I noticed that there was a chick with them!

Was I ever surprised at my luck to see this family consisting of parents 24-08 and 14-08. It was an amazing and rare experience to be able to photograph two wild chicks in one day.

I’m sure glad I went out that day photographing. It just goes to prove that you never know what you’ll find when out in nature.

Parents 24/42-09 with W3-17 in Adams County, W.

Parents 14/24-08 with W7-17 in Juneau County, WI.

1. Stan tekiela October 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Good to bump into you on Saturday. It was fun to see the wild chick.

2. Mollie Cook October 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Wow Doug! Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

3. Mindy October 13, 2017 11:53 am

Wow Doug! What a treat for you to be in the right place at the right time! So glad they are doing well and thank you so much for sharing the pictures of them….Happy birding…

4. Grandma October 13, 2017 10:23 am

Thank you for sharing this experience with us Doug. Thank you for everything you do for Operation Migration.

5. Barb October 13, 2017 8:23 am

Thank you for sharing these GREAT pictures. In the first one, with 24/42 09, I can see two other birds, one a Canada Goose, and the other quiet near the family, appears as a grey bundle of fluff with a head. Do you know what bird it is?

Thanks again Doug. What a lovely Friday the 13th surprise!!!

6. Elsie Sealander October 13, 2017 8:05 am

Thank you Doug for sharing your experience. It’s wonderful to see that all the hard work has some success.