Wow – Wow – Wow!

Every birder has that one day they’ll never forget… The day they saw a life bird, or their nemesis bird, or a very special sighting in terms of species or numbers.

Saturday, February 10, 2018 is a day Anne Martin will likely not forget. Check out the photo below and you’ll understand why.

This fantastic shot shows 8 adult Whooping cranes foraging in Morgan County, AL (Click image to enlarge). Photo: Anne Martin

The group includes, from left to right: #69-16/1-11/59-13/10-15/4-14 (aka Peanut)/4-13/11-15 & 67-15.

Anne, thanks so much for sharing your lovely photo with us!

1. aintthatamerica March 3, 2018 10:53 am

I saw a very informative show on the Travel Channel about migration. They interviewed Brooke Pennypacker about the eastern flock, .showed the ultralight in action, etc

2. Dorothy N February 18, 2018 1:11 am

Positively wonderful shot!! Ask Anne if she thought about entering it in the Great Backyard Bird Count photo contest. It’s a terrific shot and it’s pretty obvious which species they all are!! Thank you Anne, and thank you OM for sharing!!!

There is a photo of a western flock whooping crane from a photographer in Texas in the GBBC photos. It’s toward the end of the photos. On their home page, scroll down a bit and click on “2018 Contest Photos” to view some great photos of common and not-so-common birds including the Texas whooper..

3. Cheryl Murphy February 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Made my day! Thank you for the pic Anne and Heather for posting. <3

4. Elsie Sealander February 15, 2018 3:34 pm

What a wonderful sight to see!

5. Kathleen February 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Wonderful! Once I got beyond the joy of this incredible sight, another thought popped into my head…what a wonder of nature that these birds ended up for foraging together at this time and this place for this photo to be taken. Serendipity! So few in the wild, yet eight in one place.

6. Maggie Turk February 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Peanut has become s real “groupy” from Anne’s photo. Great to see such a large group of these special birds and I sure envy Anne being so lucky to take and share this magnificant photo. Thanks OM for making this possible. Whoopee!!!

7. Sally Swanson February 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Oh My! This is a wonderful photo! I am so happy that Anne got it! Thank you!

8. Barb February 15, 2018 12:24 pm

You said it all, Heather….WOW, WOW, WOW.

9. Grandma February 15, 2018 11:44 am

Wow-what a wonderful memory to have! It is great to know the whereabouts of these whoopers. Thank you for sharing the photo with us.

10. Mollie Cook February 15, 2018 11:44 am

Oh wow!! Tears would be streaming down at the sight of this. So spectacular!

11. Cheryl N. February 15, 2018 11:39 am

Oh, my heart! Such a beautiful sight! Congratulations to Anne. Thank you so, so much for the photo, too. My hands would have been shaking so much that it would have been a very blurred photo from my camera. Well done, Anne.

12. charlotte mullen February 15, 2018 11:34 am

“Found a Peanut”!

• Heather Ray February 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Talk about awkward! 10-15 and 11-15 used to be a pair until 4-13 swooped in and stole female 10-15. Now 11-15 and 4-14 have a “bromance” going on, while still associating with 4-13 and 11-15?

• Mindy February 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Oh my goodness!!!! Super gorgeous fantastic sight!!! So amazing to see them all together! Thank you so much Anne Martin for taking this pic and thanks to Heather for sharing with us….This definitely made my day today! Love, love, love! So have they all been in this area together for a while or are they on their way back to WI already and met up?

• Cheryl N. February 16, 2018 4:59 pm

I’m so confused! LOL

13. Patricia February 15, 2018 11:07 am

Lovely shot from a lucky birder!

14. Jean P. aka CrabtowneMd February 15, 2018 9:19 am

What a thrilling sight ! ! Thank you for sharing and brightening a dreary day.