OUCH

Here I sit, surrounded by wildflowers, it’s one of the prettier of my hiding places.

The view from here. Photo: C. Chase

Much nicer ambiance here. Yesterday morning was a spot in the woods. It was pretty too, but hard to see the field.

Last night’s hiding spot was a piece of farm equipment. Photo: C. Chase

Hiding is an art, I  have to be perfectly still, but comfortable enough that my legs don’t fall asleep, because when the time is right there is no time to wait for the feeling to return. I can’t jump and yell when a Garter Snake drops by to visit, nor when the biggest freaking spider EVER crawls down my arm. Bug jackets are a wonderful thing.

Brooke is on the other side of this field, somewhere.

Brooke watches and waits for twin Sandhills to arrive so they can be captured and re-tagged. Photo: C. Chase

We are hunkered down waiting to catch our Lois’ Pond twins.

About a half hour ago one of the adult Sandhills came into the field, but it came alone. It’s fascinating to watch a crane so close and it not know I am here. We are hoping the whole family comes through soon. Really soon, my legs are getting tingly again. Time to oh-so-slowly shift around again.

Wish us luck!

Can you spot Colleen?

1. JeanP aka CrabtowneMd July 14, 2018 10:58 am

TY for the photos and explanation of the challenges you must overcome to tag the sandhill chicks. Richard’s comment made me laugh out loud; not sure he meant files, but I guess being out in nature is better than sitting cooped up in a file room!

2. Maggie Turk July 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Yep

3. Dana Courtney July 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Thank you for your commitment – and courage!

4. Barbara July 12, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for teaching . Why are their cousins able to tolerate the bands at a younger age?

• Heather Ray July 12, 2018 11:19 am

The temporary radio-tags being placed on the sandhill cranes are not legband mounted. Instead they are sewn into small fabric patches and are glued onto their backs.

• Heather Ray July 12, 2018 11:21 am

This entry describes the process and provides a photo of the radio-tracking device on the chick. https://wp.me/p58okM-4Te

5. Barbara July 12, 2018 9:28 am

With all the focus on the Sandhills, are the Whooping Cranes being ignored, not being tagged?

• Heather Ray July 12, 2018 11:08 am

certainly not. Whooping cranes hatch in the early summer. Those that survive the summer will be tagged when they are large enough – otherwise the bands can harm the legs as they grow. The Sandhill cranes in this study are being temporarily radio-tagged, whereas the whooping cranes receive permanent bands.

6. Richard P. Chase July 12, 2018 9:23 am

At least you don’t have to put up with any pesky files or other critters. 😉