Crane Spotting

Photographer Al Scherwinski was out and about last Friday when he encountered two Whooping cranes in Adams County, WI.

Never without his camera, Al sent along the following photos to share with you.

Male #11-15 has been bopping around, never settling down for long in one place. Until this past spring, he and Peanut (male #4-14) were best buds but then #4-14 found female #7-17 and wanted nothing to do with his former bud.

It’s nice to see that #11-15 found himself a new (female) friend and it will be interesting to see if they travel south in the next few weeks.

Foreground is young female Whooping crane #W3-17. Male #11-15 is in front of the Sandhill crane. Photo: Al Scherwinski

Male Whooping crane 11-15. Photo: Al Scherwinski

1. Susanne shrader October 30, 2018 6:07 am Reply

Most reports of pairings between males and females, seems like an older guy snags a young female. Is that typical? just like in humans..?

2. Cheryl N. October 29, 2018 12:25 pm Reply

Thank you so much for the news and photos. Tears in my eyes, here. I am going to miss the updates so much. I’m happy for both boyz that they’ve found a partner.

3. Grandma October 29, 2018 11:14 am Reply

I would like to add my thanks to Al for the photos of these beautiful birds. Thanks to Heather for the journal and all those that have spent years trying to bring the Whoopers back.

4. Barb October 29, 2018 10:24 am Reply

Great photos. Thanks. Its nice to everyone has a companion.

5. Ann Gillis October 29, 2018 9:26 am Reply

Beautiful creatures. Warms my heart.

6. Elsie Sealander October 29, 2018 8:06 am Reply

Thank you Al for the wonderful photos. It’s so nice to know what is happening with these Whooping Cranes.

7. softwalker October 29, 2018 7:43 am Reply

I AM TRULY GOING TO MISS YOUR REPORTS AND THE FIELD JOURNAL, HEATHER RAY!!!!!! I am most appreciative your dedication in the past and sincerely hope you find another source of communication of your valuable knowledge and love of the whooping cranes for us fellow craniacs!!!!!! Best wishes for your new adventures and hope you find a way to take us along with your endeavors!!!!! Much love and gratitude, Fellow Craniac,