Flashback Friday

In preparation for our eventual closing, we’ve been spending the past couple of weeks going through 25 years of accumulated “stuff” at the office.

It’s a bittersweet process to say the least but I came across this photo and wanted to share it…

These are the “actor geese” featured in the film Fly Away Home. Many people don’t realize that after their starring role in the film, the geese were led on a migration to the Tom Yawkey Wildlife Center in South Carolina, where they wintered before returning home to southern Ontario the following spring.

Joe Duff leads 31 Canada geese over Virginia in the fall of 1995, Photo: Operation Migration

#fbf #flashbackfriday

1. Vanessa Dargain November 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Cool ! I remember the movie oh so well . I think the flock made a rest stop at the air force base near my hometown of Syracuse New York .
    Sad you lost your funding . Not everyone sees birds as we do . Nevertheless you’ve done a lot of needed and good avian research . Thanks ever so much . Wish I could have done it with you : )

• Heather Ray November 26, 2018 9:44 am

Vanessa, I must correct you on one statement… Operation Migration did not lose funding. Instead we, and our partners within WCEP, lost cranes to release.

2. Grandma November 24, 2018 10:42 am

I don’t know what to say other than I agree with all of the above comments. I have learned so much following OM, still check in every morning to see if it is all a bad dream that we will no longer be able to follow the wonderful people at OM and supporting “cast”!
    Best of everything to all of you!

3. Catherine Wohlfeil November 23, 2018 8:44 pm

What is the destiny of the seeds of inspiration we plant today?

4. Patricia Ewing November 23, 2018 7:19 pm

I miss OM and the training the ultralights leading these beautiful birds the friendships – so sad

5. Virginia Eastwood November 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Thank you for sharing, although it does make me sad.

6. Rene Jones November 23, 2018 2:50 pm

A great photo, like so many others on this site. Certainly don’t envy the task you are doing right now. I am dreading the day when I can no longer log on to this site and see the latest news about OM and the whooping cranes in the EMP. It has been an exciting and inspiring journey. Thanks to you and all the crew for all the dedication and hard work you have done. You will certainly be missed and I for one think the project is a success even if others don’t.
    Good luck in your future endeavors.

7. Faye Pittman November 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Heather, thank you for all the years of chronicling Operation Migration’s history, all the Field Journal entries, and countless other details you have given to safeguarding whooping cranes’ existence in eastern North America. Will craniacs still be able to access all of this valuable information, or will it be ‘gone with the wind’ after the end of this year? If so, is there any way I can personally copy the Field Journal entries and crane biographies before it is too late?

Also, what will become of Journey North?

With most sincere gratitude to Operation Migration,

8. Cheryl Murphy November 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Thank you for sharing the memories. Such an important record of a project that truly worked to support the whooping crane population. Important to keep and to share. Never to be forgotten…

9. Anni Frammel November 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you for sharing these sweet memories and for all the beautiful
    and sometimes sad experiences you allowed us to be part of.

10. Linda Cullifer November 23, 2018 12:20 pm

One of my favorite movies.

11. Mary OConnor November 23, 2018 11:38 am

Today my FB feed flashback marked the last day of the 2012 OM migration; I wondered what else could poiibly hold my interest….

• Heather Ray November 23, 2018 11:45 am

the last day? Holy cow, that was a quick trip!

• Vanessa Dargain November 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Tempis fugit . Dang !

12. Susan Griffin November 23, 2018 11:37 am

I discovered Bill’s book “Father Goose” back in 1996. It came with a sticker on the cover that said “Soon To Be A Major Motion Picture.” I kept watching for it but it never made an appearance near my town. I bought the video when it first appeared and later the DVD, both of which I still have. Everyone at OM has been inspiring me ever since. I’m so very sad to see you go, but I’m so incredibly grateful you were all here.
    Fly on!